Job Description 2016-2017 Academic Year
WECAN Eco-reps are student ambassadors for the Office of Sustainability at WVU. These students work within WVU residence halls to 1) increase awareness of the sustainability concepts of people, planet, and prosperity 2) inspire behavioral changes in students that create a culture of sustainability on WVU’s campus 3) develop and implement sustainability projects initiated by WVU Facilities and Services. Eco-reps achieve these outcomes through a combination of outreach events and activities, public education campaigns, and other office and operational duties as needed.
Eco-reps represent the culture of sustainability, West Virginia University, and the Office of Sustainability while they are working. As such, they will professionally and respectfully communicate with students, staff, faculty, and campus visitors at all times. Eco-reps must also maintain positive attitude when trying to affect behavior change and serve as an example of sustainable behaviors through their own actions. A team mindset is also an asset eco-reps must bring in their interactions with Office of Sustainability staff, residence hall staff, and fellow eco-reps.
- Must be second year student or higher
- Must have a positive attitude and good work ethic at all times
- Must bring required identification documents to campus to complete employee payroll processing in person with WVU Payroll and Employee Processing Services. Certain original documents are required to establish both Identity and Employment Authorization. A banking document is also required to establish Direct Deposit of the student’s paycheck. Details and a List of Acceptable Documents may be found at http://studentemployment.wvu.edu/payroll-processing. Students may also complete this process remotely before coming to campus. Follow the instructions at http://payroll.wvu.edu/r/download/204632
- Must be willing to work at various sites, including on-campus residence halls, off-campus locations, and office hours at Marina Tower in the Wharf District of Morgantown
- Must complete WVU-required driver safety course.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes independent hours, office hours, and pre-scheduled events Must be able to work between August 21st and December 1st 2017. Must attend mandatory orientation and wrap-up meetings at beginning and end of semester Must be able to work up to 20 hours during each 2-week WVU pay period.
What we are looking for
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communications skills
- Professional demeanor in appearance, interpersonal relations, work ethic and attitude
- Ability to clearly and concisely express sustainability concepts and principles to peers
- Experience with and regular use of social media
- Willingness to work on a flexible work schedule that varies from week to week according to Office of Sustainability schedule as well as students’ individual class schedules
Eco-reps are expected to perform in various work conditions with varying physical demands, which include:
- Normal office environments
- Outside weather conditions
- Varying outdoor temperatures
- Dust/fumes/odors from normal daily conditions
- Lifting at least 20 lbs.
- Walking reasonable distance to and from different points on campus
- Periods of standing at outreach events
Eco-reps will be paid $10/hr.
The deadline has passed for the Spring 2017 semester. Please check back in June 2017 for application deadlines for the Fall 2017 semester.